Frequently Asked Questions

1.- How it Works

Purchasing authority is given to cardholders to place orders with vendors for purchase of goods or limited services for university use.  When a purchase is made, the issuing bank will validate the transaction against available limits for the cardholder.

2.- Limits

A typical card will have $10,000 per month and $3000 limit per transaction.  Where no capital equipment ($1000 or more) can be purchase or a transaction split to surpass established limits.

3.- Profiles

Card profiles have been set up with information provided to the Procurement Card Administration during the application process.  Any changes will need to be made by our office. These cardholder profiles can be change using the Procurement Card Maintenance Form.

4.- Procedures and Contract Compliance

The procurement card is a tool but it does not warrant a change in NMSU purchasing procedure. The cardholder agrees to follow NMSU Procurement Card and purchasing procedures. Users will do their best to obtain the best deal for the university.

5.- Tips on How to Place an Order

To place an order using the procurement card follow these steps:

  • Confirm that the purchase is appropriate for purchase using the pcard following procedures. If in doubt contact our office for clarification.
  • Notify the vendor that NMSU is a tax-exempt entity. Goods are tax-exempt. NMSU pays sales tax only on services and construction.
  • Confirm that the total cost of the purchase will not exceed present transaction limits.
  • Make sure you are obtaining the best possible price.
  • Record the name of the person taking the order and confirmation number, should an issue arise you will have this information available.
  • Upon receiving the goods or services retain copies of the receipt for your PCard documentation. You will need the receipt for reconciliation of your statement.

6.- Tax Exemptions

New Mexico State University is a tax-exempt entity.  NMSU tax exempt number appears printed at the front of all our procurement cards.  This number must be given to all vendors at the time of purchase to honor our tax exempt status when purchasing goods. NMSU does pay sales tax on services and construction.  A copy of our tax information can be found on our Tax Exempt Notice. In the event that a vendor would like to request a notice to their name Request for Tax Exempt Certificate will need to be completed.

7.- Billing Address Information

When using your pcard they may ask for address confirmation, the address to use your departments mailing address.  Most departmental address will include a mailstop code. This address can be located on the original envelope your card came in or in your PCard system profile.  Any changes to this area will need a Procurement Card Maintenance Form to be completed. Modifying the profile yourself may result in your card becoming inactive.

8.- Payments

NMSU procurement card are handled as a corporate liability. Your personal credit history has not been taken into account when issuing a card in your name.  This card will not appear on your credit report.

9.- Purchase of Goods or Services

The purchase of goods and services can be done in person, by phone or via the web. We highly recommend that you do not give your card number out by email or by fax; these methods are not secure ways of transmission of this sensitive information.

10.- Receipt of Goods

The cardholder is responsible to ensure the goods received are correct and to follow-up with the vendor to resolve any problems with the order.

11.- Returning of Goods

If a good is returned to a vendor, the cardholder is responsible to ensure proper credit is applied to their card and distributed to the proper university index/account during reconciliation.  A receipt will need to be accompanied with returns to use for the cardholder receipt images during reconciliation.

12.- Declined Transactions

Transactions are approved or declined by vendors based on credit limits and merchant category code restrictions. If your card is declined by a vendor ensure that the proper information has been provided to the vendor such as name, card number, expiration date, address and available credit.

If your card has been declined by a merchant and you feel it should be accepted contact the Aggie Service Center at 575-646-2000 or

13.- Disputed Charges

If a discrepancy in a purchase occurs on your statement it is imperative that the issue be address immediately. Contact the vendor and informed them of the discrepancy, depending on the situation the vendor might be able to correct immediately.  If the vendor is unable to provide a corrective action the transaction discrepancy needs to be communicated to Issuing Bank.  This communication can be initiated in to by login in to the Issuing Bank system and reporting the transaction, or by the cardholder contacting the Issuing Bank at 1-800-932-0036.

These issues must be addressed within the first 30 days of the transactions date. Although the bank will act as an arbitrator, you are never assume that the dispute will be resolved in your favor. The merchant also has rights regarding the transaction.

14.- Fraud

Any fraudulent charge regardless of the amount must be reported immediately to Issuing Bank to avoid any further unauthorized charges. The longer a cardholder waits to report a fraudulent charge the harder it will become to resolve the situation. This could lead up to the department being responsible for the unauthorized charges because of the delay reporting the fraud.

15.- Dispute vs Fraud

Dispute should only be used during reconciliation when the purchase was initiated by the department but the amount billed by the vendor is not correct.  Fraud should be used when nobody at the department initiated the purchase and the charge is unknown.   Calling a charge a dispute when its really a fraud charge can cause delays in resolving the problem. Depending on delays resolving the issue it could cause Wells Fargo to be unable to give NMSU credit. This would cause the department take a hit for the fraudulent charges.   Please make sure the  charge are identified correctly from the beginning.  If you have any questions, our office can help you to determine the best route when you have issues with a charge.

16.- Lost or Stolen Cards

If a card is lost or stolen the cardholder must immediately notify the Issuing Bank by calling 1-800-932-0036. Representatives are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. After the Issuing Bank  has been notified, the cardholder is to notify of the situation.

17.- International Purchases

The procurement card can be used to purchase goods and services abroad. You will see a charge of “Cross the Border Fee”; this fee is assessed by the bank for converting US dollars to foreign currency. NMSU is charged a 1% of the total purchase.  The cardholder will not have a receipt for this transaction but will need to verify that the correct amount was assessed by the bank during the money conversion.

During reconciliation the cardholder will not have a receipt for this charge. The cardholder is to use the original foreign charge and annotate confirm the 1% charge.

18.- PCard Security

It is the cardholder responsibility to safeguard the card number to the same degree the cardholder protects personal credit cards. The cardholder is responsible for purchase made on his behalf and a violation of procedure may result in the cardholder having their card cancelled.

19.- Non-Compliance

The Procurement Card Administration conducts two types of reviews; assisted reviews and random reviews.  Assisted reviews are done by request of a department to help them understand their files. Random reviews are done by the Procurement Card Administration selecting departments in random basis and reviewing their files.

20.- Missing Receipts

We ask that the cardholder contact the vendor and try to obtain a duplicate receipt. If an effort has been made to obtain a duplicate receipt without results, then a PCard missing receipt form is to be completed by the cardholder. This form is only to be used as an exception not as a normal practice.   This completed and signed form will suffice in lieu of the missing receipt during reconciliation.

21.- Receipt Packages

Receipt packages are to be uploaded during every reconciliation period that has a balance. The receipt image package consists of a cover sheet, statement, and receipts.

22.- Request for Monthly Credit Limit and Per Transaction Increases

To request a limit increase, submit a ticket in the Aggie Service Desk (Request Access) for ‘PCard Limit or Use Request’, detailing the circumstances for the request.

23.- Exceptions

To request a special use request, submit a ticket in the Aggie Service Desk (Request Access) for ‘PCard Limit or Use Request’, detailing the circumstances for the request.